NOTE: Before you start your business, you should read the page on this website entitled “things to think about before you get started.” After you have taken the preliminary steps for starting any business, you can take the specific steps outlined below.
Are you a neat freak? Are you like a job where you are moving around instead of sitting down at a desk? Do you hate dirt? If so, cleaning homes might be the perfect business idea for you.
— No specialized skills required
— The equipment required – mops, buckets, cleaning fluids, sponges, etc. – is not very expensive. A vacuum cleaner is the most expensive item but you can find a cheap, used one (or borrow one from your parents).
— It can be difficult, dirty work
— Hauling the equipment around is not easy, and you will most likely need a vehicle
— You probably will have to go into the homes of strangers
— You probably will want to take on a partner
How to Get Started:
You can start by offering a simple cleaning that includes dusting, vacuuming and mopping. But even at the outset, cleaning a house is a lot of work and a partner would be helpful – not only for convenience but also for safety (especially if you are a girl or a young woman).
Think about what types of situations you are willing to work in and those you are not. For example, are you okay with the homeowner(s) being at home while you work, or do you prefer the owner(s) to be away? Make sure to specify those conditions before a customer hires you.
How Much to Charge:
You can charge an hourly rate of $15 to $30, depending on how much demand there is in your area for home cleaning services.
Taking it to the next level:
Ready to upgrade your home cleaning business? Here are some tips:
- Consider offering special cleaning projects, such as cleaning before and/or after parties.
- You can build on extra services such as window washing and polishing silver.
- You can also contact local real estate agents and ask about home sellers who need their homes cleaned before a scheduled showing. Call homebuilders in your area and offer to clean new homes.
- Pass out fliers about your cleaning services.
- You could create a website to promote your cleaning business.