Building a successful business is never a solo act. As an entrepreneur, you are the only owner of your business.
But you will still need some help and encouragement while running a business. Here are three key questions to ask an entrepreneur you look up to (and some great follow up questions, too).
1. How do you run a successful business?
There are a lot of different parts to starting and running a business. It can feel overwhelming. Ask a successful entrepreneur about what it takes to build a great business.
If you have a little more time to talk, you can ask more questions about different parts of being an entrepreneur, such as:
- How do you market your business?
- How should I handle the money I make from my business? (How much should I save, spend on business costs, etc.)
- What have you learned from your customers or clients?
- What do you wish you knew before starting a business?
2. Where do you go for business advice?
No entrepreneur has all the answers for everything, not even the business owners you admire. That’s why it’s a great idea to ask who business leaders turn to when they have questions and/need encouragement.
Here are some specific questions you can ask:
- What are your 3 go-to websites, podcasts, YouTube channels, etc.? Why those three?
- What are the top 3 mobile apps or tools that help you run a successful business?
- What books should every entrepreneur read?
3. How do you deal with problems while running a business?
Every entrepreneur goes through good and bad times with their business. A more experienced business owner can help you prepare for how to handle those times when your business isn’t booming.
You could ask:
- What motivates you to keep going?
- How do you manage stress?
- How do you prevent burnout?
Key Takeaways for Questions to Ask an Entrepreneur
What should you do if you find yourself in a room (online or in real life) with an entrepreneur you admire? There are questions you can ask if there’s time for a discussion.
You could ask about:
- How to run a successful business
- Who and where to go for great entrepreneurship advice
- How to deal with business problems
These questions are important. But it’s even more important to take action and follow at least one or two tips a more experienced entrepreneur gives you.
Taking action helps you build your own successful business.
And maybe one day you can pay it forward and help new entrepreneurs who come to you for advice.