Most people know how to use laptops and computers to handle daily tasks. But how do you react when your computer, laptop or phone stops working as usual?
If you don’t panic and you know how to fix basic computer glitches or problems, then consider starting a computer repair business.
– You have more choices for picking customers. You can work with individual computer/phone owners. You could also do computer repairs for other home-based businesses and small business owners, as well as for video game consoles.
– Doing computer and phone repairs for businesses can bring in regular work and great referrals for your own business.
– You can run your business from your home.
– You can start a computer repair business with some basic tools. But the tools needed to offer more advanced repair services, especially for today’s smartphones, can be expensive.
– You need more than just tech knowledge to run a computer repair business. Successful computer repair businesses need to combine good communication skills with great tech skills to keep their customers happy.
How to Get Started:
NOTE: Before you start your business, you should read the page on this website entitled “things to think about before you get started.” After you have taken the preliminary steps for starting any business, you can take the specific steps outlined below.
- Create a business plan. Think about which computer and phone repair services you will offer to customers. Will you work with individuals, businesses, or both? Do you want to help customers set up new computers or laptops? Are you willing to go a client’s home or business?
- Start saving money for your business. There are some startup costs for running a computer repair business. Having some money saved can help you pay for marketing and your own repair tools and equipment. Your savings can also help you cover costs for educational/licensing programs.
- Get organized. You can run a successful computer repair business from you home. Decide which area of your home will be your business workspace. Also, be sure to organize your tools and equipment in a way that helps you quickly find what you need.
- Promote your computer repair business. Start asking family and friends to help you get the word out about your computer repair services. Also, create a website and at least one or two social media accounts for your computer repair business.
- Know your industry. Pay attention to the latest news and trends on hardware, software, new threats, as well other issues about computer and phone maintenance.
How Much to Charge:
Do a Google search on other computer and laptop repair businesses in your area. This will give you a good idea of how much your competitors charge for their services in your city or town.
Computer fixes can start for as little as $50 for a simpler, quick fix. Computer, phone and video game console repairs can range up to a few hundred dollars to fix more difficult problems.
Taking it to the Next Level:
1. Use creative ways to promote your business. Having a website and a few social media accounts can help market your business.
You can also boost awareness about your services with your own “how to” videos on YouTube or TikTok videos with quick tips for protecting a computer, phone or a laptop.
2. Consider getting certifications related to computer repair.
Having certain training and certifications helps prove your knowledge to your customers. Taking the time to learn about your industry is a great way to boost your reputation and credibility.
As your business grows and as you get older, think about how getting a certification could help your business. Do an online search for popular certifications in your industry.
3. Offer additional services.
Some of your customers may need additional technical services, like installing and configuring software on computers, phones and TVs.
Photo by Blaz Erzetic on Unsplash
Join the discussion